47 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2014 10:29 AM by C Spire Liz RSS

Free WiFi Tethering....

kgchem95 Shining

CSpire, what is your problem.  Why can't your customers have free WiFi HotSpot, using our smartphones as modems.  Are we not paying for the data usage ANYWAY. Our phones are already capable of doing this.  What is the problem.  Please explain, with GOOD reason, the point of charging 20 dollars for Ig of thethering. Please explain.  You want to be pioneers, then do something REALLY different.  Why are you trying to KEEP IN LINE WITH Verizon and ATT.  I thought CSpire was supposed to be SOOOOOO differet.  At least Verizon and ATT put their charges upfront, so you know what you are dealing with.  CSpire, you like to hide your stuff. What is up with that?  Response?

• Re: Free WiFi Tethering....
    C Spire Liz CommunityModerator

You may not realize how much data usage has grown in the last few years, but it's increase is tremendous. Most carriers have switched to tiered data plans that expose you to overages. C Spire has continued to offer unlimited plan. We have created a variety of plans that allow customers to personalize their plans based on how they use their phone. That way, everyone pays for the features they use but none of the ones that they don't use.  If tethering is something that is important to you, we offer tethering passes or you can add a USB Mobile Hotspot that can be connected to multiple devices.

redvic Illuminated

I AGREE 100% I HAVE UNLIMITED EVERYTHING AND THEY SLOWED MY DATA SPEED DOWN THEY SAID I WAS USING TOO MUCH AND TO GET TURN ON MY  WI FI  I THOUGHT I WAS UNLIMITED SMH!!

Your data is still unlimited, and you can still surf the internet, check your email, and more.  To keep the C Spire Network running at its best and to provide our customers with the fastest speeds possible, we sometimes have to manage the speeds of a very small number of our customers who use excessive data.  We created our Unlimited Plans based off what the normal customer uses.  We want you to know that we are very generous with our policy.  We are one of the few carriers that still offers Unlimited Data.  Other carriers have switched to tiered data.  We believe our customers deserve to have the option of Unlimited Plans.  Unlimited Plans were designed so that you would no longer have to worry about data overages and extra charges.  If you need more access to fast data speeds, we also offer tiered data plans.  You can view our Shared Data plans here: http://budurl.com/SharedData.  We think that you should research our competitors' plans, and you will see that we really have the best deal for you. 

Using WiFi provides you with very fast speeds!  It also preserves our network so that everyone can receive access to fast data speeds.  Any video or data you use while on WiFi will not count towards your plan usage.

kgchem95 Shining

Well, to this I will take you a bit further.  I had a friend that CSpire actually terminated there contract because they were using too much data, and guess what my friend had to pay CSpire.  Now how bout that.

MATTHEW CLIFTON Shining

Thank you cspire for your data usage

KERRI RICHARDSON Shining

I agree, if we're paying for data, why does it matter if it's used on the phone, or through a separate device. CSpire is still going to throttle it at some point anyway.

MATTHEW LEAIRD Enlightened

Yes, I believe that as much as we pay for our plans, it should be no problem for Cspire to handle the few of their customers who even know HOW to teather a phone.

TYRONE WHITFIELD Illuminated

I really didn't appreciate the way that C Spire handled the tethering ordeal. It was free at first and all of a sudden it's 20 bucks a month or 1 gb. Whichever comes first. Sounds like bait and switch to me. I wonder if I switch to straight talk and got internet service in my home would I come out cheaper. I guess I'll wait til December, when my contract is up, to find out.

ALVIN WARD Enlightened

Is there a plan that includes tethering?

TOLIE MORGAN Bright

It doesn't matter how much data usage I use, I'm paying for it! For example, I pay my water bill so I can use the amount of water I want. If water usage goes up, which I'm sure it does, that is no reflection on me or my bank account.

It seems greedy that Cspire doesn't allow their customers to tether!

Inspire us Cspire! Bring wifi tether & hotspts back!

CONTESSA SELLERS Vivid

I think that we as customer should not be charged for HOTSPOT because the bill is expensive itself

JUDY MCDOUGALL Beaming

Even though you have 4G on the new phones it will not download if you are not in an area that offers 4G.  The plan is unlimited and eventhough it is unlimited the download is slower in a 3G area.

CONTESSA SELLERS Vivid

We need free tethering because cspire starting to charge too much for different things now

As we have mentioned before, your data is unlimited on your phone, but there is a charge to extend the connection to other devices. This is an industry standard that is not exclusive to C Spire. If tethering is something that you like to do frequently, then you should consider a Shared Data plan. Because you pay for a specific amount of data, you can use it in any manner you wish whether it be tethering, streaming, or just surfing the web.

kgchem95 Shining

I think Sprint and TMobile has free tethering or hotspot usage.  I know these two have been in the game for quite some time.  I know Sprint has.  They are not following the "industry" standard.  And since when do we play follow te leader.... Be the leader..  If I can share data, by golly let me share the data that I am already paying for.  Im Just Saying.

kgchem95 Shining

CSpire Liz, I guess I would be ok if there was a charge to EXTEND my unlimited data to other devices, but what you describe is not true.  You say that we can pay twenty dollars to tether 1GB of data.  This does not sound like I am sharing my UNLIMITED data from my phone.  It sounds like I am paying for 1GB of the unlimited data that is on my phone.  Then you say we can get a SHARED data plan.  Well, how is that if my phone unlimited?  Would I then be paying for an unlimited plan then for shared data?  That would be paying for data twice.  Then there would be a cap on it.  Why not just make it REALLY simple.. Give us free tethering with the UNLIMITED plan.  I guess i really am trying to see what the difference is.  If you are supplying data to my phone, how does it become an additional service or task if I route that data to another source.  I just don't understand.  Do you have any literature or can you direct me to any literature on this matter?

LATONDRA WARD Enlightened

I agree

kgchem95 Shining

I just decided to look at the plans... What a RIP OFF... I can get and unlimited plan for 65 dollars a month, but if i want to use a hot spot, i only get one phone and the use of hotspot  and I would have to share this data.  I choose the amount of data from 1gb to 10gb, and pay accordingly.  Just getting 1gb of shared data is killer enough.  I remember that  one of the only reasons I came to cellular south was because I could use my phone to connect to my computer while on the road.  It was wonderful tool to have and it made things a lot easier.  Now this.  Not allowing free hotspot like you used to is CRAZY.  The tiered plans are excessively expensive and unreasonable.  What gives. 

hendrix2 Brilliant

The tier plans are out at all carriers. They are giving you free unlimited data for your phone. If you want to use your computer for data how about purchasing a data pass and better way to access the data with your computer

https://www.cspire.com/shop_and_learn/devices/product_phone_detail.jsp?id=prod28920330&subscriptionId=&navCount=0

This way you will get better connections for your data. People need to realize the data for your phones are just that for a phone. The reason they came out with shared data plans in the first place were because of people like you who were using too much of the data resources with their phone. They have stopped it so other people on the network can also have access to the web on their phone without a few bogging it down. If you want to continue to use your phone Cspire is telling you are going to have to pay for it one way or another. And by doing so it will keep people from bogging down their network with large downloads and other things people used to do. I am not saying you were one of them just explainning why they have done what they have done. It was the one way Cspire could keep their unlimited data plans for customers and I am very proud of them for that reason good job Cspire