The nominees for the 2012 C Spire Conerly Trophy have been released. Let us know which player you think has the best chance of taking home the trophy.
2012 C Spire Conerly Trophy Nominees
- Ole Miss quarterback Bo Wallace has thrown for 12 touchdowns and run for six for a rejuvenated Ole Miss team. The junior has completed 65.6 percent of his passes on the year and threw for a career-high 404 yards against Vanderbilt.
- Mississippi State cornerback, Johnathan Banks, a preseason All-american and a finalist last year for the Conerly, is in the running for serveral national awards and ranks first among active NCAA players in career interception yardage.
- Southern Miss defensive end, Jamie Collins, leads USM with 80 tackles, 18 for loss, nine ssacks totaling 77 yards in losses and four forced fumbles. he leads Conference USA in sacks and tackles for losses.
- Alcorn State offensive lineman Cornelius Brown, an anchor on the team’s offensive line.
- Belhaven senior cornerback and kick returner Isiah Wiley, a Southern Cal transfer, who led the nation (NAIA) in punt returns with 19.4 yards per return. He was fifth in kickoff returns with 28.6, returned two punts for touchdowns and also intercepted two passes.
- Delta State offensive tackle Kendall Hunter, who made 38 consecutive starts at right tackle and had a career offensive line grade of 89 percent. Hunter allowed only one sack this season and led DSU in knockdown blocks with 129/
- Jackson State wide receiver Rico Richardson, who became the fifth received in Jackson State history to surpass 1,000 yards receiving in a season. Heading into the season finale, Richardson has 1,027 yards and nine touchdowns on 52 catches.
- Millsaps senior quarterback Garrett Pinciotti, who led the team to a 7-3 record, threw for 24 touchdowns , only four interceptions and led the conference in passing yards per game with 273.
- Mississippi College defensive back Keith Villafranco who led NCAA Division III with six forced fumbles. He was also in on 76 tackles, nine for losses, intercepted five passes, broke up 11 others and recovered a fumble.
- Mississippi Valley State defensive tackle Robert Simpson who leads the NCAA FCS division with 20.5 tackles for loss. He has 53 tackles and 5.5 sacks on the season.