9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2012 5:38 PM by CODY SLOCUM RSS

Streaming???

Illuminated

Ok the whole streaming thing is confusing me!!! Ive been with cell south/cspire for years and data has always included streaming now data and streaming are two seperate things and two seperate charges. If I want infinite streaming I will have to pay an additional $30 to what I already pay. However, online it says that infinte streaming is currently free for a limited time but it also has a plan that includes infinite streaming for an additional $30 so which is it? free or $30 more dollars a month? Also, if it is free for a limited time will i recieve a text to my phone to let me know when streaming is no longer free or will I just billed for using more than 30 minutes a month once it changes and is no longer free and find out when I get my bill? Because I do not want to think that streaming is still free and continue using my phone (you tube, music, etc) as I always do thinking it is still free and then get a massive bill for going over the 30 alloted minutes of streaming. And the last thing I have read that if you are connected to wifi (like when I am using internet through my home internet instead of cspire's network) that that is not going to bill me or use my streaming minutes because I am on my own network and not cspires, is this true? Hope someone can help clear all the confusion up for me and that all my questions are fully understood. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this issue!!

• Re: Streaming???
    lamont Beaming

Charging extra for "streaming" will be the second most ignorant decission C Spire could make second only to doing away with the Smartphone Unlimited plan.

C Spire Kat CommunityModerator

@Crystal Dillard We have not yet begun to charge for streaming. We anticipate this will be coming sometime in the next couple of months. Hence the "free for a limited time". Also, ALL of our new plans include 30 minutes of free streaming per month which is enough for most of our customers. After that 30 minutes is up, a screen will popup on your phone when you attempt to stream content asking if you would like to purchase a streaming pass. Lastly, if you are streaming over wifi, there won't be any streaming charges as you are not using data on the C Spire network.

~dm

Vivid

Nice to know that people know in advance that they've used their 30 minutes up.

Illuminated

Thanks, I think it SUCKS that streaming is no longer included in data, however, it is good to know that I will be notified instead if just getting a huge bill. Luckily I usually use my home or school wifi when using my iphone so hopefully the 30 minutes will be sufficient and I wont have to spend more money per month on my phone, even though I am suposed to have unlimited data......(which last I knew streaming is technically part of data, but oh well I guess not much that can be done about phone companies constantly changing plans)

Illuminated

i dont get the streaming thing either.  since when is data different than streaming? to me it seems like its a new way to get money since so many of us listen to music or let our kids watch netflix on our phones.  cspire realized that they should be reaping the benifits.  i want a new phone so bad i can taste it, but i dont want my unlimited smart plan to go away!  i do love cspire, but it just seems like everything is more expensive every day!

Beaming

Sounds cool.

Vivid

Streaming is sort of like a constant connection to the internet and you are constantly uploading or downloading something. When just looking at a website it does not take a whole lot of data to complete and it is quick. The reason streaming has been singled out is because its constant use can affect others internet causing it to be a lot slower or completely unavailable. When cspire got the iphone they had to take into account different laws that caused their plan to change. Luckily they do notify you because the big carriers do not. I know others that pay more for one account than I do for two accounts  just because they keep going over there streaming limits. This might not seem like a big deal but when you are stuck with a 200 dollar phone bill for only one phone cspire starts looking pretty good.

Illuminated

I believe that if you pay for unlimited Data, you also get unlimited streaming. That has been the case for me for as long as I have been a customer.

Illuminated

that was what i was led to believe as well, however after having my data terminated for "above average usage", i was told streaming is NOT included in the old smartphone plan, even though wwhen i asked before, i wwas told it was, and i did not recieve the streaming text msgs to purchase a pass etc, though my wifes phone on the new choice d plan did get the notices, and went through heer 30 minutes of video without eeven watching any videos because they conssider the ads in the games and apps to be streaming if it is a video ad.